Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
pvdw

Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

Postby pvdw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:41 am

Hi all. I am planing to buy quite a lot of Lithops seeds. All Cole number seeds so nothing special.

In your opinion where would you buy and why?

I know that OL actually put more seeds in a packet than what they say they do but I heard that there quality is very good as well. I have no knolidge of MG. Any help or info welcome.

If I pay MG in USD it will be cheaper for me than paying OL in Auzie$ but cost should come second to falue and quality.

brom

Re: Mesa Garden or Oz Lithops

Postby brom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 pm

The quality of the seeds in Mesagarden is very good and they are usually cheaper than @ Oz Lithops. However, you have to expect longer delivery times because they have a lot of orders. But if you can wait, then I would recommend Mesagarden.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 am

When their new seedlists come out they are inundated with orders especially from China and South Korea. I was told that last January MG. had over 1000 orders and sold out of Conophytums and Lithops long before all the orders were serviced. I have had excellent germination from Mesa Garden seeds but have not bought from Oz Lithops.
Are you a member of the Mesemb Study Group? They issue a list of Mesmb. seeds in the February bulletin,which usually includes Lithops.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

mary44

Postby mary44 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 am

I think you need to work out which seeds you want and compare the listings for pricing. Although Oz Lithops do charge a lot for their rare seeds the seeds are very good quality, and many of the more common seeds are reasonably priced and you do get a lot of seeds in each packet. It is probably work sharing out your orders between the two suppliers.

I have just bought some seeds from Oz Lithops recently, and have decided that as I will have plenty to sow I am going to pass up on buying from Mesa Gardens this spring. I might try buying some more common lithops seeds from them later in the year, I gather November is a good time to buy if you are not looking to buy the very rarest seeds.

I did have a list of seeds to buy from Mesa all sorted out but it got thrown away last week by mistake ;) and I am not sure I can be bothered to start again with the deadline looming for the new list's release. 8-)

brom

Postby brom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Allan1 wrote:Are you a member of the Mesemb Study Group? They issue a list of Mesmb. seeds in the February bulletin,which usually includes Lithops.

In any case, I would not recommend you to join MSG only because of the seeds. Because the February issue with the seedlist you will get in South Africa maybe in April. And at this time already the best varieties are sold out.
Boris

pvdw

Postby pvdw » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:13 pm

brom wrote:
Allan1 wrote:Are you a member of the Mesemb Study Group? They issue a list of Mesmb. seeds in the February bulletin,which usually includes Lithops.

In any case, I would not recommend you to join MSG only because of the seeds. Because the February issue with the seedlist you will get in South Africa maybe in April. And at this time already the best varieties are sold out.

Allen I am not a member. As you may know we in SA pay double the fee the people in Europe pay and with our weak Rand it is just not worth it if it is for the sake of buying seeds.

Brom, interesting view and very helpful. Thanks for the warning ;)

I came across a seed supplier over here who was out of stock for a long time but released a list of new seeds yesterday. Not as big as either OL or MG but at least 140 species and few cultivars to pick from. Prices is around 1USD/100 seeds.

I will order from this local supplier now and then I think OL will be the balance of my order in the near future. There ordering is much easier and way more effective than MG it seems.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:05 am

Hi Pete, that sounds like a good idea buying local. What Brom did not know, was that if you were keen to join the MSG, I would email you the seed list when I had it.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

pvdw

Postby pvdw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Allan1 wrote:Hi Pete, that sounds like a good idea buying local. What Brom did not know, was that if you were keen to join the MSG, I would email you the seed list when I had it.

Thanks Allen.

As I said it is just to expensive at this stage. I do realize the value of joining such a group. I am currently member of our biggest hunting society as well as an additional shooting club. The use of being part of such groups is priceless. I just have to cut down on joining all clubs with annual fees as it can get out of hand in my case ;) :? So for that reason only the hunting for now :D

brom

Postby brom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Allan1 wrote:... if you were keen to join the MSG, I would email you the seed list when I had it.

A much better idea would be to place the MSG seed list right here, so that all MSG members have the same chances to buy the seeds.
Boris

mary44

Postby mary44 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 am

brom wrote:A much better iidea would be to place the MSG seed list right here, so that all MSG members have the same chances to buy the seeds.

Thats a bad idea Brom. Message it to friends maybe but not post it here. You forget people in the U.K, with our lousy postal service, cannot make use of email or PayPal to order seeds, my list usually arrives 3 to 4 days after other peoples. I'm not saying the way it is now is fair, but the playing field needs to be even if it is changed. I know you feel quite aggrieved about this as we have spoken privately about it.

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”