Page 6 of 6

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A ' Cafe au Lait '

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 pm
by Australian
The results are great! You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time, even if this should happen most of the time.

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A 'Café au Lait'

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 pm
by brom
Australian wrote:You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time ...
That is completely correct!
These seedlings germinated within two weeks. And here, too, my observation has been confirmed:
The seedlings that germinate later take much more time to develop!

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A 'Café au Lait'

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:23 am
by pvdw
brom wrote:
Australian wrote:You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time ...
That is completely correct!
These seedlings germinated within two weeks. And here, too, my observation has been confirmed:
The seedlings that germinate later take much more time to develop!


Interesting. So not only slow to start but also slow to grow?? :geek: Never knew that.

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A ' Cafe au Lait '

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm
by Allan1
I think this is to be expected because the seeds that germinated first will have a bigger and stronger root system than late germinators. They therefore can take out their nutrients and leave a bit for the late developers. If you try and help the slow growers you will have bloated plants from the early germinators.
I usually seperate them as soon as they all have their true leaves, I can then gently push the late germinators so that by 18 months they have caught up with their bigger siblings.

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A 'Café au Lait'

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm
by brom
Allan1 wrote:I think this is to be expected because the seeds that germinated first will have a bigger and stronger root system than late germinators. They therefore can take out their nutrients and leave a bit for the late developers.
I can not confirm that. The slower development affects only the seedlings that germinate two to three weeks later than the first ones. But the seedlings, which germinate two to three months later, develop very fast and sometimes even better than the first seedlings! How to control the different old and large seedlings is purely technical question and is usually unproblematic.