Lithops gracilidelineata C309A ' Cafe au Lait '

Specific Lithops in detail. Please limit one species, subspecies, variety or cultivar per thread.
Australian

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A ' Cafe au Lait '

Postby Australian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 pm

The results are great! You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time, even if this should happen most of the time.

brom

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A 'Café au Lait'

Postby brom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Australian wrote:You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time ...
That is completely correct!
These seedlings germinated within two weeks. And here, too, my observation has been confirmed:
The seedlings that germinate later take much more time to develop!
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

pvdw

Postby pvdw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:23 am

brom wrote:
Australian wrote:You can't expect all seeds to germinate at the same time ...
That is completely correct!
These seedlings germinated within two weeks. And here, too, my observation has been confirmed:
The seedlings that germinate later take much more time to develop!

Interesting. So not only slow to start but also slow to grow?? :geek: Never knew that.

Allan1

Re: Lithops gracilidelineata C309A ' Cafe au Lait '

Postby Allan1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I think this is to be expected because the seeds that germinated first will have a bigger and stronger root system than late germinators. They therefore can take out their nutrients and leave a bit for the late developers. If you try and help the slow growers you will have bloated plants from the early germinators.
I usually seperate them as soon as they all have their true leaves, I can then gently push the late germinators so that by 18 months they have caught up with their bigger siblings.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

brom

Postby brom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Allan1 wrote:I think this is to be expected because the seeds that germinated first will have a bigger and stronger root system than late germinators. They therefore can take out their nutrients and leave a bit for the late developers.
I can not confirm that. The slower development affects only the seedlings that germinate two to three weeks later than the first ones. But the seedlings, which germinate two to three months later, develop very fast and sometimes even better than the first seedlings! How to control the different old and large seedlings is purely technical question and is usually unproblematic.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

Return to “Lithops Species, Subspecies, Varieties & Cultivars”