Unknown pest

Protect your Lithops from harm & ill health.
Australian

Unknown pest

Postby Australian » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Over the last months or so I planted many Lithops and Titanopsis seeds. Three days ago I discovered that all my Titanopsis seedlings in a square pot has been eaten away. A couple of days later the same process affected Lithops seedlings. I have asked a number of people which pest could have caused this problem which only takes place at night. I got different answers.

1) I keep my seedling my full screened off patio. I checked the screen for holes, but I could not find any. Hence I conclude that this could not be a problem caused by mice. I have two large pots of fully grown Lithops near the seedling: they remained untouched.

2) The Lithops had their heads bitten off, so this is not a mealy bug problems which affects the roots. I have no problems with the root system.

3) In the patio at times I can see small lizards. These are the same animals which eat insects attracted to my window at night. Lizards can become vegetarian when they get old. However, this are animals over one foot long. They don't live in my patio.

I don't know whether cockroaches would attack seedling because they prefer decaying food. At times there are cockroaches in my patio.

Does anybody have any idea which animal attacked and killed some of my Lithops/Titanopsis seedlings?

chvb

Re: Unknown pest

Postby chvb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:36 pm

In Europe I should first investigate for sciara fly. The flies are not the problem but the small maggots in the ground. When you us a lot of organic material in your soil mix they can be devastating.

Chris

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Chris may be right if both plant and root have disappeared, but if only the top of the plant has gone I would still suspect mice. Where do your lizards come from? If they can get in maybe mice can?
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Australian

Postby Australian » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:46 pm

My soil has very little organic material and is left relatively dry. I have no holes in the fly screens as I have checked earlier today. The top is bitten off. I am told by a very experienced Italian Lithops grower that, if a mouse is the culprit of damage to plants, then it makes a real mess around. This is not my case,

The lizards are tiny and come from below the frame of the fly screen. Mice are not the same size as small lizards.

Australian

Postby Australian » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:47 pm

I cannot see grasshoppers around, but they are known to eat Lithops.

mary44

Postby mary44 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:33 pm

I doubt it is mice. I have had problems this spring with a family of mice in my greenhouse, I lost a lot of large nastursian (excuse spelling) seeds I had sown in pots near to my lithops seedlings, and spotted mouse droppings. All the seeds were dug up and consumed over night...

Using a humane trap I caught an entire family of 7 mice over the next few nights and relocated them a distance away. However I did spot large numbers of mouse droppings over my lithops seedlings, most a year old or older, and none had been touched.

Regulus

Postby Regulus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:06 am

I have a lot of problems with slugs and snails at the moment .. because of the extremely wet weather.

Return to “Pests & Diseases”