Lithops Growth

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Janohi45

Lithops Growth

Postby Janohi45 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 pm

I have wondered about the growth of the new leaves when they come out of the middle.....they are smaller than the leaves before them, do they grow as large and how long does that usually take? Sorry for asking questions of a newbie ;)

My L. dorotheae was at least a 3/4 of an inch when I got it, but the new little plant is so tiny, maybe 1/4 inch!

Jaime

Allan1

Re: Lithops Growth

Postby Allan1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello Jamie, the new leaves you can see in the middle are growing using the goodness from the old leaves. They therefore will be smaller at this stage as they have not used all the old leaves. Even when the old leaves are dry they will probably be a bit smaller but will grow as thier growing seson progresses.
The reason why other members have said no water is because if you water them in winter, while the above process ia going on, the old leaves will use the water and will not dry up. Any plant over two years old will keep the old leaves as well as having new ones, this is what is called stacking and is not what happens in the wild so should be avoided.
Where I am, in the Northern hemisphere, i stop watering in late September or early October and don't start watering usually until april/may. When you stop watering you will see that the plants are shrivelling as though they need a drink, this is when you have to be firm with your self and say no :) As soon as the old leaves are dry you can start watering but do it slowly, don't drench them with the first watering or you may kill them. At this stage they have no feeder roots, having been dry all winter, so they need to grow these. The first light watering starts this process.
It is better for the plants, for each species to be in a seperate pot, because they dry thier old leaves at different rates, so you may have one of your plants ready for watering when all the others are still drying thier old leaves.
Hope this helps, good luck with them.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Janohi45

Postby Janohi45 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 am

Allan1 wrote:Hello Jamie, the new leaves you can see in the middle are growing using the goodness from the old leaves. They therefore will be smaller at this stage as they have not used all the old leaves. Even when the old leaves are dry they will probably be a bit smaller but will grow as thier growing seson progresses.
The reason why other members have said no water is because if you water them in winter, while the above process ia going on, the old leaves will use the water and will not dry up. Any plant over two years old will keep the old leaves as well as having new ones, this is what is called stacking and is not what happens in the wild so should be avoided.
Where I am, in the Northern hemisphere, i stop watering in late September or early October and don't start watering usually until april/may. When you stop watering you will see that the plants are shrivelling as though they need a drink, this is when you have to be firm with your self and say no :) As soon as the old leaves are dry you can start watering but do it slowly, don't drench them with the first watering or you may kill them. At this stage they have no feeder roots, having been dry all winter, so they need to grow these. The first light watering starts this process.
It is better for the plants, for each species to be in a seperate pot, because they dry thier old leaves at different rates, so you may have one of your plants ready for watering when all the others are still drying thier old leaves.
Hope this helps, good luck with them.

Thank you Allen, yes, this has answered alot for me! I will learn as I go, and I am SO glad for this forum as I have learn quite a bit so far. I am following what I am learning from you all on here who have chimed in. Thank you! :-) I know this is a hobby that requires LOTS of patients and self discipline to do the right thing for healthy thriving plants. I think I'll be ok, just a little anxious.....Lol.

I have raised Seahorses and that is such a job to get them through their first month!! But to get them to a marketable age is another thing as well :)

Jaime

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Excellent reply Allan. Thank you very much.
Don't quit, keep growing!

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”