When things get hot

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Australian

Re: When things get hot

Postby Australian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:29 am

I plan to pot my Lithops into a 22 cm deep pot. However, I will fill the 8 cm with very coarse scoria to avoid moisture to accumulate there. A friend of mine, who is an experienced Lithops grower, has measured Lithops roots as long as 14 cm. The stronger the rook system is, the stronger the plant should be. Although the soil mixture should be allowed to dry up in winter up to the leaf change and in the summer, I do believe that a minimum amount of moisture should remain. I also plan to store the pots into styrofoam boxes to protect them from the sun. I tend to believe that a lot of unexpected deaths of Lithops in 5 x 5 cm pots are probably due to overheating of the pots even just in the morning sun.

pvdw

Postby pvdw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:21 am

Australian wrote:I plan to pot my Lithops into a 22 cm deep pot. However, I will fill the 8 cm with very coarse scoria to avoid moisture to accumulate there. A friend of mine, who is an experienced Lithops grower, has measured Lithops roots as long as 14 cm. The stronger the rook system is, the stronger the plant should be. Although the soil mixture should be allowed to dry up in winter up to the leaf change and in the summer, I do believe that a minimum amount of moisture should remain. I also plan to store the pots into styrofoam boxes to protect them from the sun. I tend to believe that a lot of unexpected deaths of Lithops in 5 x 5 cm pots are probably due to overheating of the pots even just in the morning sun.

Couldnt agree more!!!

mary44

Postby mary44 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:28 am

I planted some lithops into deep 7 inch BEF pots last autumn, and am waiting to see what the results of their deep root runs are. I will be fascinated to see whether they grow faster or have better root systems now. Of course we aren't dealing with the same heat issues you have to face.

Australian

Postby Australian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am

I tend to believe that, once you transplant a Lithops, the plant needs over a year to get used to its new pot. I bought a fair few Lithops from growers in colder locations. Only the second change in leaves produced a significant (~60%) multiplication of plants.

brom

Postby brom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 am

I would be interested to know which soil temperatures are reached on hot days at the locations. In particular, the temperature of the air 5 cm above the ground, the temperature of the soil surface and the soil temperature in 5 cm depth.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”