Lithops species and water.

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
pvdw

Lithops species and water.

Postby pvdw » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi all.

I would like to get some info regarding the water needs/resistance of different Lithops species.

I know that Aucampiae and Leslie are fairly tolerant to more water than other species. Then on the other side we sit with Rushciorum that can not take over watering at all. Then plants like Optica do well with less water but like misting on a regular bases.

Can you please add or correct so we can compile a list of plants for these category's?

Can handel water.

Leslie
Aucampiae

Can NOT handel water

Rushciorum

Do well with regular misting.

Optica

I think we can stay on species level for a start exept if there is an var that has a definite watering need.

Australian

Re: Lithops species and water.

Postby Australian » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm

As a rule of thumb, the rainfall data of the different localities can help you in identifying the watering requirement of each species.

Limania

Postby Limania » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 am

I think, I'm not able to help you - all my Lithops receive the same quantity of water during their growing season - but the seasons itself are very individual:
in 2017 some julii get their first water in august, some pseudotruncatella in march, Optica Rubra have still somewhat wet soil and are further growing.

mary44

Postby mary44 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 am

Limania highlighted the problem we have, not sure about others but mine get communal watering from a hose in summer, and watering can at other times of year based on need rather than species. I saw someone on facebook advocating watering sensitive species with a pipette the other day, which did make me laugh. The thought of going around 1000 seedling putting a couple of drops of water to each seedling.. :roll: I can just see that happening in my greenhouse.

The only species that gets more water than the others is Lithops optica rubra which is still being watered by watering can now. And it still hasn't finished flowering.. It also tends to lose its leaves later during the summer so possibly I try to avoid water for them too early in the season. I say possibly because that is perfection, it is quite likely they will get splashed by my enthusiastic hosing.. :lol:

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”