L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' pollination thoughts

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
mary44

L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' pollination thoughts

Postby mary44 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I have a few L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' plants, but it looks like only one is mature enough to flower this autumn. I watch the others in hope but so far no sign of flowers. Last year I pollinated the two heads together, and had seed pods, but no seeds. So this year I am looking around the greenhouse to see what else might be a good cross for them? My flowers are way behind those I am seeing flowering away elsewhere, and crosses are limited of course to what is available on the day.

My question is, I hear of people outcrossing L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' to other Lithops with success. If you had a free choice what would you consider the best Lithops to use as an outcross?

On an aside I purchased a couple of so called Lithops Salicola "Sato's violet" on ebay a couple of months ago, and when I bought them I thought they were an outcross to something as they do not seem pure plants. I will try to take a photo later and add it for you to see what you think. They are pretty if not as purple as some L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' I have. I have grown about 15 plants from seed but it will be a few years before they flower I imagine.

mary44

Re: L. salicola 'Sato's Violet' pollination thoughts

Postby mary44 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Well the day arrived, the flowers opened and the closest plant with flowers in the greenhouse was Lithops Marmorata, so I have crossed the flowers and will have to wait and see what, if anything happens. I have a feeling people use Lithops Hallii as an outcross but can't remember where I read that. My Hallii are too young to flower so I will have to wait to use that cross.

Australian

Postby Australian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Well... let's see what will come out :)

mary44

Postby mary44 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:37 am

I have two plump seed pods on my salicola plant but none on the L. marmorata plant. I will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

I also have a small plant of L. salicola "bacchus" (same plant) that I purchased last weekend at a BCCS branch convention locally from Terry Smale which also has a little seed pod on it so I am excited to see what happens next. :P

It's a shame it takes so long for the seed pods to ripen... :)

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”