so I did a stupid thing today

General discussion about Lithops & stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.
mary44

so I did a stupid thing today

Postby mary44 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:14 am

A couple of weeks ago I sowed about 100 pots of lithops seedlings from various sources. I found my hand sprayers to spray the pots each day, and one of them had obviously stood in the sun and the insides had gone green. So I decided to wash it out and put a bit of bleach solution into the sprayer to kill any remaining green. I left the sprayer on the side and forgot about it.

Today I went into the kitchen to fill my little sprayer with fresh water. And I was in a hurry, spotted the second sprayer sitting there full of "water" and grabbed it and started spraying my seedlings, till a strong smell of bleach stopped me in my tracks :oops: . Fortunately I had only sprayed a few pots but even so there were some nice little seedlings in danger of destruction. So I grabbed my other sprayer and soaked and soaked the pots in water to try to dilute the bleach assuming it was still active in the sprayer (certainly smelled eye wateringly strong).

Tonight one or two seedlings look a bit yellow, so keeping fingers crossed I managed to dilute the solution before it was too late. :?

I felt very stupid I have to say. ;)

Australian

Re: so I did a stupid thing today

Postby Australian » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am

We all make mistakes... let's hope they survive!

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

I think we will all have our fingers crossed for you Mary. You did the right thing in diluting as much as you could. We have all done similar things, so I suppose that makes us all a bit stupid :lol: Learning from our mistakes is what is important, good luck with them.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

marcours

Postby marcours » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 am

OUPS... :( I cross my fingers for you too.
It reminds me of a bad delirium among friends. They had diluted bleach in a bottle of water without indicating what was in it ... I'll let you imagine the rest. I had the fear of my life and had the most beautiful angina ever caught ...
"Lithops tray is like a chocolat box" Forrest Gump .

brom

Postby brom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

I always label everything. Particularly important when sowing!
But 100 pots sowing would be extremely much for me! Hopefully the losses are bearable, I wish you success.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

mary44

Postby mary44 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 am

Well, your good wishes and crossed fingers seem to have worked :) . One or two seedlings do look a bit yellow, but the majority seem fine, and lots more have germinated since. So my flushing the pots with water does seem to have removed the majority of the bleach before it did any damage. I learned a lesson there. It was also lucky I only sprayed one tray with twenty-four 2 inch pots in it, and not the whole lot!!!

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:23 pm

You may have benefited from your error, Mary. The bleach will have killed off any fungi/pathogens/moss etc, that were either on the seed or still in the compost :D
Glad to hear they appear ok.
Allan
Orkney

marcours

Postby marcours » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:34 am

Good new :)
Happy for your. And yes you will not have deceases with fungis ;)
"Lithops tray is like a chocolat box" Forrest Gump .

mary44

Postby mary44 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 am

I was reminded of this today as I am in the process of bleaching my other sprayer which has also begun to go green. I was much more careful to leave it a few hours then empty it out and rinse it while I remembered it had bleach in it. :roll:

The other seedlings really came to no harm so a lesson learned maybe.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 pm

I call it a learning curve, :lol: and I have had plenty of those :roll:
Allan
Orkney

Return to “General Lithops Discussion”