Hello from FL

Welcome to Lithops Forum! Please say "hi" & introduce yourself.
Eats_beats_trees

Hello from FL

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello fellow gardeners!
I'm fairly new to the lithop world but am familiar with succulents. My first lithops did not survive (poor care previous to buying/ water related rot). I purchased a few more a month ago. I frequent another forum but was looking for one specifically for lithops. Mine are doing ok although a few have developed calluses. Not sure if from too much water, too little water I damage from the artificial light I use. Can't wait for my posts to be approved && I can start interacting with other members. Would love to get my lithops looking happier.
Attachments
IMG_2727.JPG
I removed the pebbles from around the one on the left to show calluses.
IMG_2593.JPG
Too much/ too little water or artificial light damage?

Allan1

Re: Hello from FL

Postby Allan1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:35 am

Welcome to the forum, I am afraid that your Lithops look as though they have been dying for weeks. Probably too much water.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Eats_beats_trees

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:02 am

Hello Allan && thank you for your replies/accepting me in your lithops group "). I'm hoping to gain more knowledge on these little guys, a new game of patience :lol: .

Most of the calluses are superficial on the skin. The plants are all firm all the way to the root. When I've experienced rot before the plants were soggy and broke. I only watered these once about two weeks ago. They had gone a while without water.

Is it possible they will recover?

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello,Where is FL ? and have you repotted them since you bought them? They do not need any more water at the moment.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Eats_beats_trees

Postby Eats_beats_trees » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm

It's in the south eastern part of the US. Since I've had them I've repotted them in to succulent mix with added perlite. At the moment it's mostly at the bottom of the pot while I have tiny rocks covering the rest

I only watered them once since I've had them and do not plan on watering again for a while
Attachments
IMG_2587.JPG
This was mid potting. The succulent mix at the bottom with the rocks covering the top half

Return to “Introductions”