Belated hello

Welcome to Lithops Forum! Please say "hi" & introduce yourself.
mary44

Belated hello

Postby mary44 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi everyone. I realised a few days ago I didn't post an introduction when I first joined the forums.

My name is Mary ( no surprises there :lol: ) I live in Devon, U.K. I retired due to ill health some 20 years ago so have plenty of time to dedicate to my hobby growing cacti and succulents.

I have been growing cacti and succulents on and off all my life, and developed an interest in mesembs about 15 years ago. I discovered Doug Rowland's seed list and had some successes with his seed.

I have 3 greenhouses, all very old (the first purchased in 1978) and my husband has been helping me renovate them to make them watertight and cleaner. The last greenhouse to be done is an 8" by 10" sun greenhouse that had become completely overgrown with a couple of trees growing out of the roof. I wish I had taken a photo before we started clearing the site and reglazing it. It is transformed and I am now hoping to buy some staging to go in it so I can expand my collection on into it.

I joined MSG about 17 years ago and have been enjoying their bulletins and had seed from their wonderful seed list most years. My most successful year for growing them appears to have been 1999 when I germinated a few conophytums that are now large overgrown clumps. I started dividing them last autumn and may do some more sorting later this year. I find conos more difficult to germinate than lithops, I think I probably keep the pots too hot for their liking so plan to try again next year keeping them cooler.

I am a bit of a novice with computers, hence I have not tried to post any pictures yet. I spotted the pinned post with advice on doing so and will try experimenting on reducing photo sizes in order to do so.

I think my biggest problem with my collection at the moment is when I repotted all my cacti last autumn I made the mistake of using top grit that had been left exposed to the elements and had gathered large numbers of invisible weed seeds. I am now trying to pull out the weed seedlings from amongst the prickly cacti which I am finding is easier said than done. Its a shame as the collection now looks quite presentable for the first time in years.

I also found a large solitary snail sitting right in the middle of my seed pans filled with 2" pots of 3 month old lithops seedlings yesterday. I removed him and thought I had got off without any damage, but following his trail over all the pots I eventually found he had had one meal, one of my prized lithops salicola "sato's violet" seedlings :shock: its top half is missing. Fingers crossed enough is left to regenerate, I hope so.

Mary

Australian

Re: Belated hello

Postby Australian » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Thank you for the introduction, Mary. You are a lot more experienced than many of us here. :)

Allan1

Re: Belated hello

Postby Allan1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 am

Welcome to the forum Mary, nice introduction.
Sorry to hear about your snail, why is it they always go for the rarest/nicest? Good luck with the weeds.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Return to “Introductions”