Pleiospilos nelii

The other family members.
Australian

Pleiospilos nelii

Postby Australian » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am

I got this plant on a Saturday and by the following Tuesday it started going yellow. I had done nothing to it and only exposed it to the winter sun without any water. On the Wednesday I put my fingers into rainwater and touched the plant. A few days later I gently sprinkled it with my other mesembs. The plant is getting more yellow. I am suspect it will die. What can the cause of this problem be? The plant was healthy when I bought it.

chvb

Re: Pleiospilos nelii

Postby chvb » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 pm

hey Mate :)

A picture tells more than 1000 words.

Chris

Australian

Postby Australian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Here are two pictures.
Attachments
Pleiospilos 2a.jpg
Pleiospilos 1a.jpg

chvb

Postby chvb » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:32 pm

This looks like sunburn to me. I have been in Australia in Australian wintertime and I consider that a real option.

regards

Chris

Australian

Postby Australian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks, Chris. I tend to put the tray with the lithops and the other similar succulents out in the morning and take them back at night. I even put them on my kitchen floor to avoid overnight temperatures around 5 C. However, I thought that the winter sun was not so strong to burn a pleiospilos. I would not do the same in the summer when the sun is very strong. I live in Brisbane.

Apart from exposing the plant to the morning sun only, do you think I should do anything else to save it?

Australian

Postby Australian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Last night I attended the monthly meeting of the CSSQ so I could talk to the person who sold me the plant. In his view and as mentioned by Chris below, the plant got sun burnt. It is not sure if the plant will recover. There is a chance it will survive because new leaves seem to be ready to come out from the middle of the plant.

Return to “Other Mesembs & Succulents”