green Lithops

Help in identifying Lithops.
MALACHIT

green Lithops

Postby MALACHIT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:18 am

Hallo,

I found this plant among L. karasmontana seedlings in a garden center (OBI) two years ago.
I have doubts, that it is a L. karasmontana, but it's a nice green one!

Do you have an idea?

IMG_1921 (FILEminimizer).JPG

IMG_1920 (FILEminimizer).JPG

Viele herzliche Grüße aus Berlin,

Jürgen

chvb

Re: green Lithops

Postby chvb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm

I have had the luck to visit the big greenhouse of Ubink several times (http://nm.ubink.nl/prg/newsmaker?firm=u ... =/du_news/). They are the biggest cactus and succulent growers in Holland with large growing area's in Tenerife as well.In the greenhouse in Holland I have seen fields of 10,000 pots of lithops around 30-40 in a pot which in my view looked like a mix of hallii/salicola/hookeri and karasmontana. These are all species which grow easy from seed. There are never names because they are all mixed seeds from uncontrolled pollination.
Since I have seen that I never bothered to look at garden centre Lithops any more. The real species are already complicated enough.

By the way, this does not indicate that you can not find some beautiful plants there, but call them Lithops ubinkii. :)

regards
Chris

Australian

Postby Australian » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:40 am

Nurseries are profit-driven organizations. Probably their customers are not concerned about which species of lithops they are able to buy. It is also likely that a pot with a mixture of species is more visually appealing to customers than single plants are. Also mixtures of seeds may be cheaper to buy than seeds from certain species. They may be easier to germinate too.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:17 am

Nice plants Jurgen, sorry I can't identify them. I would go along with Chris's suggestion.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

MALACHIT

Postby MALACHIT » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 am

Hallo,

I know, that it´s almost impossible to find out exactly what it is, if you by plants without a name.
But I think, this plant has some characteristic features, which make a diagnosis of at least the species possible, I hope.
The plant is truncated, has medium size islands and about 1 mm broad regularly channels. In the channels there are rubrications visible, not concentrated in the margins.

It might be a Lithops hallii, I think. In some aspects, i.e. the color, it reminds me to 'Green Soapstone'.
But it is different to all the cultivars, I know.
Does anyone have a 'Fullergreen', which looks similar?

Viele herzliche Grüße aus Berlin,

Jürgen

Limania

Postby Limania » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Hallii is my suggestion, too. All my Fullergreen looks very different.

Return to “Lithops ID”