lesliei luteoviridis seedlings

A gallery of Lithops.
David1971

lesliei luteoviridis seedlings

Postby David1971 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi everybody,

I show you one of my last autumn sowings, started outdoors (protected from rain and sun) in September 2014. Here in Southern Spain the critical time is the summer, so Autumn sowing guarantees maximum sizes for survival under following summer extreme temperatures.

luteoviridis_2 meses (2).JPG
November 2014, two months-old seedlings

luteoviridis_4.5 meses.JPG
With four months of age

luteoviridis_6 meses.JPG
Their aspect nowadays, six months after seed sowing

Allan1

Re: lesliei luteoviridis seedlings

Postby Allan1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:40 am

Nice healthy seedlings David, please keep us updated on their progress. Can you give them any extra ventilation in summer?
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

David1971

Postby David1971 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks Allan. Being careful with the water, adults resist fairly well in summer, but my experience with seedling is very limited. Typically, there are not very long periods with temperatures over 40ºC in the shadow outdoors during July and August, and I hope 9-10 months old plants resist with some misting. Do you think a fan would be advisable?

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:39 am

Difficult to answer that David as I have never lived anywhere that hot before. Would hot air being moved be better than still hot air? I assume they will be well shaded in the summer.
I would put the same question on the BCSS forum and hope that Iann answers.
Allan
Orkney

David1971

Postby David1971 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:40 am

Allan, other Spanish growers sow without extra ventilation in places also having rather hard summers, and I have grown other one year-old plants (not sowed by myself), so my feeling is that with a little care I will succeed. My plants are shaded in the central hours from May till September, and remember that I grow outdoors where ventilation occurs naturally (although there are certainly many days of dead calm). Anyway, at least at this lattitude where winters are soft and often sunny and summers are scoldy hot, sowing in Autum seems to make more sense than in spring. Some people here in Spain also sow in winter using propagators and seem to go well.

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm

If I lived where you are David,I would sow in autumn too. This is a perfect example of ' what suits your own growing conditions ' Here it is too dark in winter for tiny seedlings, I therefore sow in spring.
Allan
Orkney

Return to “Lithops Photos”