Some seedlings

A gallery of Lithops.
David1971

Re: Some seedlings

Postby David1971 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Australian wrote:If you have access to older issues of the MSG Bulletin, there is an article by Piccione who explains why Lithops seedling can shrink and vanish. It has happened to me several times. :cry:

Thanks. I know, I have sown dozens of times not only Lithops but also many other mesembs. In this case no doubt that the problem was the mix; (the few) surviving plants are minutiarized versions of what they should be, and the other batch (pictures shown at the beginning of the post) is having the same care and conditions, except for the mix, and is growing healthy and strong.

Australian

Postby Australian » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm

I totally agree about the problems with the mix. A lot of growers say to everybody that a purely inorganic mix is answer. I disagree. Eric from Oz-Lithops used 50% scoria and 50% of a special potting mix which comes from Germany. Everything needs to be in the +1/-4 mm grain size. For inorganic soil, liquid fertilization is a must and needs to applied regularly (maybe every 2 weeks or so during active times).

brom

Postby brom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 pm

I do not know what is used in Oz Lithops for sowing, but 50% potting mix are too much. You have seen my seedlings, I have 30-35% potting mix and think that L. ruschiorum needs even less than 30%, perhaps 20% maximum.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

Australian

Postby Australian » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Ideally you should use a variation of growing mix by Lithops species and possibly cultivars. However, this is too complicated.

Return to “Lithops Photos”