Wild Lithops, Harald Jainta, a new book

Lithops living in the wild.
MALACHIT

Wild Lithops, Harald Jainta, a new book

Postby MALACHIT » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 am

Hallo,

there is a new book about Lithops in habitat, which is very intresting.

Wild Lithops, Harald Jainta:
https://www.wild-lithops.com/english/news/

Herzliche Grüße, Jürgen

Australian

Re: Wild Lithops, Harald Jainta, a new book

Postby Australian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm

It's a great book with stunning pictures!!! :)

mary44

Postby mary44 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:31 pm

I have a copy. It is a lovely book. I have yet to go through it in depth but as Australian says it has superb photos. It's a shame it is so expensive but it must have been costly to publish.

Australian

Postby Australian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I agree it is an expensive book, but this seems to be the start price for book on plants, eg the Succulents of Southern Africa by Robin Frandsen and others. It's probably a function of these books being printed in less than 1000 copies with the authors paying up front for printing costs.

mary44

Postby mary44 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:16 am

Is that how it is done? the writer paying up front to publish must be a huge undertaking and a bit of a risk. Though it does mean if the book is a success future copies will retain their value, a bit like the conophytum book dumplings which is a ridiculous price to buy now.

Australian

Postby Australian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:09 am

Yes, because commercial publishers are only concentrating on big money (like Happy Potter) or textbooks. They see it as risk. In some cases like Cactus & Co with the book on Lithops, they took the financial risk of publishing the book in two languages. To recover their money, after a few months they sold all the English copies to a South African company, which must have made good money out of it. They kept the Italian version for members only. There are a handful of these copies in Italian still for sale.

Yes, the authors take a gamble on making money on books. However, before they pay the printers, presumably in installments, they offer the book at a pre-publication discount, like Robin Frandsen did. With the earnings from the pre-publication sales, he must have covered most of the printing costs due to a company in Singapore. The book became expensive because it doubled in price on shipment costs. Commercial printers probably have shipping agreements to deliver books at a discounted rate compared to us.

If a person writes a book on plants, s/he will have a feeling about how many copies can be sold so s/he will not be out of pocket for long. S/he will just ask other authors before getting stuck into writing most of the book. In the case of Steve Hammer, I am told he has benefactors behind him. He also uses the upfront pre-publication sales format.

I tend to believe that these authors who publish using their own money will probably earn several thousand dollars on their books. However, they won't become rich on them. Considering the amount spent on writing and editing the book, the earnings do not justify the time invested. Authors write books for their own glory, in my view.

mary44

Postby mary44 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:33 am

Well we are lucky there are people out there who are dedicated enough to spend the time and effort to produce books like this.

Australian

Postby Australian » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I totally agree with you, Mary :D

brom

Postby brom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I bought the book some time ago and have already read it three times.
The book is very valuable in content. Technically it is not perfect. Nevertheless, I can only recommend the book.
Viele Grüße aus Marienthal
Boris

Wild Lithops

Postby Wild Lithops » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:11 am

Thank you for your postings.
@mary44: You are exactly right. It us both, a lot of work and fun to produce such a book.
@brom: What do you mean with "Technically it is not perfect"?
http://www.wild-lithops.com

Return to “Lithops In Habitat”