Lithops in Angola?

Lithops living in the wild.
Australian

Lithops in Angola?

Postby Australian » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Somewhere I have read that Lithops were discovered in Angola across its border with Namibia. Can somebody elaborate on this?

chvb

Re: Lithops in Angola?

Postby chvb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Cole mentions in his 1988 books that ruschiorum var. lineata continue to grow up to the Angolan border and even further into Angola. As far as I know there are no confirmed locations known.

Chris

Allan1

Postby Allan1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi Australian, was it in Coles book that you read about it? If not, and it was a new piece of news, then it could be exciting. I asked last night if there was any recent news and was told that Ernst Van Jaarsveld from Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens searched in vain, on more than one occasion, for this L.ruschiorum in Angola.
Allan
Orkney
Lithops,Cacti,Conophytums,Tylecodons,Sempervivums and Sedums

Australian

Postby Australian » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Maybe I read it in Cole's book. I am told Angola is a dangerous country for fieldwork because of land mines left from the civil war of the 1970's.

Wild Lithops

Postby Wild Lithops » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 pm

There are rumours about lithops growing in Angola according to our investigations in Kaokoveld. We spoke with lithops-naive people living at the Kunene who have visited the area. I can also confirm the negative attempts of Ernst van Jaarsveld. Furthermore another lithops-experienced, Czech field expert looked in the southwest of Angola, where Namib Desert spreads north. For me it is likely that L. ruschiorum could be found in the coastal fields and some 50 km inland. I saw respective promising pictures of likely territories. However, so far I am not aware of any sightings. Surely I would love to see by my own.

Return to “Lithops In Habitat”